Saturday 20 June 2015

Lost week - protective styling.

Somewhere along the way I have missed a week where I put my hair on a protective style for the week... I don't know how but I thought I'd post about it as I like to have a record of what works (or doesn't as the case may be) on my hair.

As an avid blog reader and YouTube stalker... erm I mean viewer, I'm always on the look out for new tips, tricks and b/vloggers over the past few weeks I've come across a few ladies with super long hair who have their hair in protective styles for the majority of the time and a couple of them have a weekly routine/regime{n} of washing their hair then putting it into a protective style for the whole week. 
I've been wanting to keep my hair as free from as much manipulation as possible but as I'm not ready for my next long protective style stint I decided to give the week one a try.


Preperation:
 
After the whole washing and deep conditioning process, I reached for some smoothing leave ins (Herbal Essences Beautiful Ends Split End Protection Cream (I'm down to the bottom of my last bottle *sob* when it's finished I wont be able to get it again) and Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum) as I wanted my hair to air dry as smooth and stretched as possible.
Working in four sections I took out my wide toothed comb and soft bristle denman- it felt so weird using these in my hair as I've been only finger detangling for so long.
I parted my hair down the middle, put my hair in two ponytails winding the hair round itself and left it to dry. 
My hair was soooooo smooth, it reminded me of very early in my HJ when I wanted my hair as straight and smooth as possible to emulate my relaxed hair (what a change!)

Style:

I opted for some cameroes/cornrows (around 7/8 in total) and added a little extension hair in an ombré type effect. 
I smoothed the front down with some CURLS Passion Fruit Curl Control Paste and tied my scarf on.
In the morning I just took my scarf down and I was good to go!!

I pulled all the plaits/braids into a side ponytail. Some days I wound the braids round into a side bun.

Protective styling: Cameroes/Cornrows/Canerows


Maintenance: 
 
I enjoyed the freedom the plaits/braids gave me and I loved that it shaved so much time in the morning. I just used a little gel and paste each night and let it set overnight.
When my hair started to get messier, I had to gel in the morning instead but it was still so much quicker than styling my hair from scratch each day.

I oiled my scalp every night with my hairlicious and moisturised with the
Herbal Essences Beautiful Ends Split End Protection Cream when needed, I wanted a light moisturiser that wouldn't be too heavy nor cause excess build up.



I enjoyed wearing my hair in plaits/braids but may well leave out the extension hair next time round.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment :)