Wednesday 6 May 2015

Hair Update - May 2015 (picture heavy)

I realise I haven't really updated about my hair since last year so thought I'd do it now.

It's very helpful for me to have a post (or 10 lol) that allows me to see progress, keep an eye on any products/techniques that affect my hair whether that be in a negative or positive way, and set and review goals.

Growth:
My hair has really improved both in length and health since this time last year. I have retained length well and even though I did a couple of trims to remove some ends, I have gained whoooop.
Here's a few pics for comparison;

My afro is coming along nicely:

        
afro, 06/14
afro, 07/14
afro, 10/14











afro, 12/14

afro, 03/15














As I have been staying away from heat, I don't have many straight hair pics but here's a couple:


Blowdry/rollerset:

blowdry, 11/14
rollerset, 04/15















Straightened/Flat ironed:


straightened, 03/14
straitened, 11/14















 Wow!! Pictures really do help to show progress. It doesn't really feel like my hair is growing at times, natural hair has alot of shrinkage lol. I have noticed that I need to use more thread and bands when I am stretching my hair and also my twist/braid outs hanging lower.


twistout, 08/14
twistout, 06/15













 My hair has grown in length and thickness! My relaxed hair was no way near this thick.
I can now claim shoulder length for the top and back of my hair - whooopwhooop - and the front and fringe/bangs are now around chin length.

 Transitioning:

It has been 21 months since I last relaxed my hair and I am almost fully natural now. I just have a few straggly ends left from my two trims and general breaking.
 My transition has been hard at times with my hair "acting up" but I seem to now be familiar with my hair's needs and cna mange it much better. The added thickness has taken a while to get used to and many a hairband has been snapped (one just this morning actually lol) putting my hair into a bun/ponytail is a task and my sections have increased when moisturising and sealing but I welcome my hair's new found thickness with a grateful heart.
I have discovered some curls I didn't even know or remember I had. Thinking back to my relaxed days, I did have some waves when I added gels and liked the crimped look when I twisted my fringe and let it out. I just assumed it looked like that because of the relaxer. I do realise that my relaxed ends may be pulling my hair down causing it to look more curly than it is but I do have parts of my hair which are all natural as the relaxed part has long gone and those parts are also quite curly. It will be very interesting to see what the texture is like when all the relaxed ends are off.

Styling:

As well as my trusty buns, I have been wearing my hair in more curly styles for the past 2 months. I had wanted to go on another protective style challenge and put my hair away but changed my mind at the last moment and curls it was. I have noticed that my hair looks much better in twist and braid outs now that there's less relaxed ends and I enjoy the results more.
As I mentioned, I noticed some curls popping up, especially during my deep conditioning sessions and it made me want to try a wash and go more and more but I felt my hair wasn't quite long enough to hang how I would like, the pull was too much so I gave it a try and I LOVED it, it was quite strange at first as I am not used to the shrinkage and the look but I have done quite a few and will continue to wear my hair this way for a few more weeks.
I have been gathering wash and go tips and picked up a couple to stretch the curls which gives the style a longer look.

Wash and Go
Wash and Go - Stretched













twistout refresh of Wash and Go
curly bun and fringe/bangs
















 Products:

 Although the product junkie in me has been subdued I have to admit that I have added a few items to my stash, mostly the Shea Moisture goodies that I have been raving about. I also picked up Lutrasilk Curl Max Curl Activator Moisturizer on the recommendation of a lovely assistant in a hair shop, she was admiring my curls and told me I didn't need a wig haaaaaa, she told me there was a product she uses that really brings out her curls so I tried it and it really is fab!! The orice is good too and for a big bottle.
I am saving up some pennies to purchase a few items from the Curls range, to use in my curly routine, I have the Passion Fruit Control Paste which I love, I used it for edge taming and slicking my buns but recently used it in a twistout too.
I'm still enjoying mixing oils to seal with and for the last couple of months or so, have swapped my Hairlicious for my Boosted Cinnamon oil for my scalp and have been loving that.. I will be going on another hairlicious 30 day challenge soon and a batch has been infusing for the last few weeks.


Routine/ Regieme{n}:

I have kept up with my routine for the most part - weekly washing and deep conditioning, nightly moisturising and sealing, scalp and edge treatment and massage.
While wearing wash and go's I haven't been moisturising every night but use oil.



wowww what a long post lol!! It's been noce having a look at my progress and it can be a "go to" post for when I get questions about my HHJ.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment :)