Saturday 4 April 2015

Wash Day "chronicles"



Clarifying Wash Day Items



I realise my blogging has been sporadic... ok it's been baaaad. I am trying to juggle so many things and getting everything done is becoming a dream rather than a reality and the things that are not absolutely essential remain undone, blogging is one of those things and all the ideas, posts and thoughts remain in my head and not on my blog *sigh*

My last Wash Day post has been ages ago but I (obviously) have been washing my hair since then, every week actually and I have been making little changes and reintroducing items that I stopped using for some reason. I thought it would be a good idea to post about the changes so I can see if they make a difference to my hair - for the good or bad.

Only one pre-poo - I put oil in my hair and leave it in overnight and use that as my pre-poo rather than doing one before the shampoo. I use coconut oil overnight, depending on the way my hair feels/looks I decide whether I need to add a conditioner or not and also if I need to use a different oil altogether. This has helped to cut down on time and hasn't caused any problems.
Coconut Oil right after last rinse - Another thing I stopped doing for no reason at all, I don't even know what made me start again but I am glad I did, it really makes a difference.

Essential oils - For some reason, I stopped using EO's during wash days but I added them again a couple of weeks ago (or more, I'm losing days lol) I add them to my tea rinses and also to my conditioner mix. 

Adding oil(s) to my Conditioner Mix - I have started to add oil again, I stopped as I thought it was overkill with the oil as I use oil overnight but I love the way my hair feels after deep conditioning with the oils and my hair is soft and shiny.

Finger detangling only - I didn't mean to omit the comb during my wash day routine, I just forgot to comb my hair out lol, I normally comb the conditioner through my hair when applying in sections and then again just before I rinse it out. Somehow I forgot to detangle on wash day, I only realised that I forgot when I was putting in my leave ins. I didn't notice any added problems caused by the lack of comb. When I forgot again I decided to leave comb detangling out for a while to see how my hair gets on without it.

Allowing my hair to dry more before adding leave ins - I found that doing it this way made a difference to how my hair felt and looked the next day. I used to just remove the excess water but letting my hair dry more has become part of my routine that I will keep. I think adding the coconut oil straight away makes this work so well.

Banding - When I wanted to stretch my hair I reached for my trusty thread and did the African thread technique but it takes soooooo long and I found my ends would keep getting ripped off *gasp* I am sure its my technique that's wrong as I sometimes knot it in a way that tangles up my hair but I bought a couple packs of hairbands and went back to banding, I loved the way my hair looked and can't even remember why I stopped in the first place.... I think maybe it was harsh on my hair or something but for the time being it's going well. I'll keep an eye on the bands to see if and hair gets caught in them.


Sulphate-free Wash Day Items

Sooooooo there it is, wash day changes, additions and omitions (is that even a word?) so far it's working well for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment :)