Monday 16 February 2015

Natural Monday - Spiced Banana Hair Conditioning Treatment

Today's Natural item is a mixture I used to give my hair a deep conditioning treatment.

I have been protective styling and really wanted to give my hair a nourishing treat. I normally do a natural pre shampoo(prepoo) treatment on my wash days but this time round I wanted to keep it on longer and after my wash.

There's kerzillions of natural treatments out there but I tend to go with items I have grown to love and each for their own special benefits so thought I'd share this one.
I hope you give it a try and can substitute items for ones you prefer, I will add recommended substitutions too.
My hair is shoulder length at is longest parts but is quite thick so I made the following amount, you can change quantities to suit your hair length and texture.

Ingredients
Juice of 1 Lime - Adds shine, stimulates hair growth, conditioning, softening, strengthening.

1 Banana mashed/pureed and strained - Moisturising, repairing, protecting, strengthening, softening.
1-2 tablespoons Greek Yoghurt (sub; a thick natural yoghurt) - Adds Shine, smooths, conditions.
***I used a Jar of Baby banana and yoghurt food this time round as I don't like the stringy bits and   
      lumps that I get when mashing bananas***
2 teaspoons Cinnamon Powder (use less or omit if you have very sensitive skin as it can be quite
    strong) - hair growth stimulant, aids hair loss
1 Tablespoon of Grapeseed Oil (subs; Rapeseed, Avocado or Olive oil) -absorbant, moisturising,  
    light in odour and texture, nourishing, strengthening, aids hair growth.
   
*** This time round I used my hibiscus infused Rapeseed oil***  (hibiscus is cooling, soothing, aids hair growth, aids hair loss, softens, smooths, shines, thickens)
1 Tablespoon Raw Agave Nectar (substitute with Honey) - Humectant and conditioning.
1 heaped table spoon Coconut Milk Powder (you can use coconut milk but the mixture will be thinner) - nourishing, smoothing, strengthening, prevents hair loss, stimulated hair growth, conditioning.

Put the ingredients into a bowl, stir well and gently heat in microwave or over a low heat on the hob.

Spiced Banana Hair Conditioning Treatment



This mixture is great as is or you can add approx 1 Tablespoon of your fave deep conditioner/masque to it.

Section your hair into 4 and smooth the mixture onto each section from root to tips, you may want to put an old t shirt on as the mixture is quite thin and drippy lol, the banana and agave can also be sticky. I just hopped back in the shower when I had covered my head.

Place a conditioning cap, plastic shower cap, plastic bag, scarf or towel over your hair - I used a conditioning cap and a head scarf.

Leave mixture on hair for at least an hour, I left it on for the whole day and rinsed out at night. If you are short of time you can sit under a dryer for 20 mins or so. Even if you don't want to sit under heat you can use treatment for shorter than an hour but the longer left on the better :)

Rinse treatment out of your hair,
Use a rinse out conditioner to remove any of the yoghurt and the sticky feeling that may be left behind.

As I mentioned before, this is a great pre-poo treatment so feel free to try it out that way too.


So there you have it, it smelt sooooooo nice and even after rinsing I could smell it. My hair was very soft.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment :)